I’ve loved pasta salad for as long as I can remember. There are so many different ways to make it but today I thought I’d share a super easy and quick recipe. It’s inspired by my boyfriend’s mom who legitimately makes the best pasta salad I’ve ever eaten. While my take on doesn’t quite reach her level, it is still pretty tasty. I like making this when I need something simple to bring to a work or family get together.
Here is what you’ll need:
1 large green bell pepper
1/2 yellow onion
1 15 oz. can of black beans
8 oz. package of pasta
Non-dairy cheese (optional)
*You can use any dressing or vinaigrette of your choice but I love using the Wishbone Italian dressing. It is cheap, has pretty good ingredients, and gives the dish so much flavor.
Here is how to make it:
- Cook 8 oz of pasta according to package instructions. I just used Kroger’s 100% whole grain rotini pasta and it was ready in about 10 minutes. After draining the pasta, rinse with cold water and drain again. Pour pasta in a large serving bowl.
- Drain and rinse 15 oz black beans. Add to bowl and stir.
- Dice 1/2 a yellow onion and 1 large green bell pepper. Add to bowl and stir. (You can also add diced cherry tomatoes here- I just didn’t have any on hand!).
- Add Italian dressing and stir. There is no “right” amount to add. I recommend adding a small amount little by little until it meets your preference.
- While this step is totally optional, you can add a non-dairy cheese of your choice here for something a little extra. I used Daiya Dairy Free Shredded Mozzarella, although I’m sure it would be good with Pepper Jack as well. I did not measure specifically, instead just sprinkling a little on top.
- Cover and chill in fridge until ready to serve. You make want to add more Italian dressing at that time, as the pasta tends to soak it up after setting for a while.
- Enjoy! 🙂
What is your favorite pasta salad recipe?