While I no longer eat eggs or other animal products, I do tend to crave a savory breakfast quite often. I love avocado toast and hashbrowns, but sometimes I overdo it with the avocado and potatoes and just need something different. Enter: chickpea scramble! This is the PERFECT base for a savory breakfast. This recipe is super simple and takes just a few minutes to whip up. It is so versatile and can be adjusted to your preferences and what you have on hand. I have a feeling I will be making many different versions of this in the coming weeks.
Here is what you’ll need:
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- Italian seasoning
- Everything seasoning blend
Here is how to make it:
- Start by heating 1 tbsp of olive oil on a skillet on medium heat.
- Pour one 15 oz. can of chickpeas in a medium bowl. Use a fork (or clean hands) to “mash” the chickpeas. Just do your best to mash here, but know that it doesn’t have to be done perfectly and no matter how you do it, it will still taste just fine!
- Add 2 tbsp hummus, as well as just a couple shakes of black pepper, sea salt, Italian seasoning. Mix well.
- Heat mixture on the skillet until warm.
- Sprinkle a couple shakes of everything seasoning blend and any other toppings you would like.
- Enjoy! 🙂
As I mentioned earlier, this is such a versatile recipe. I ended up adding Daiya dairy free cheddar style shreds, as well as a little ketchup. You could switch it up with the spices and/or the type of hummus you use for a slightly different flavor. You could also add a hot sauce. If you have a little more time, you could add sautéed onion and bell peppers, sautéed spinach or kale, or roasted tomato. The possibilities are endless! 🙂
Have you ever tried a chickpea scramble? What toppings would you add?